Radishs ruined - by what?

Some boring bug has ruined all of my daikon. They bore into the root, and eat their way through it, leaving brown goo behind. It's too late to do anything about them this year, but what can I do next time to prevent this?
On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 13:24:43 -0700, "Matthew Reed" <nospam at zootal dot com nospam> wrote:

Radishes grow fast, so you should be able to start from seed 6 weeks before the first frost date of your area. I recommend planting the new crop in another location.

Daikon are a bit slower growing, and I'm going to try for a fall crop. Which means the soil will be warm and full of hungry bugs :(
Matthew Reed "Phisherman" snipped-for-privacy@nobody.com wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 13:24:43 -0700, "Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote:
Some boring bug has ruined all of my daikon. They bore into the root and eat their way through it, leaving brown goo behind. It's too late t do anything about them this year, but what can I do next time to prevent this?
Radishes grow fast, so you should be able to start from seed 6 weeks before the first frost date of your area. I recommend planting the new crop in another location.
Daikon are a bit slower growing, and I'm going to try for a fall crop Which means the soil will be warm and full of hungry bugs :(
Mix heaping teaspoonfuls of wood ashes 1 inch into the soil where th radishes and onions will be growing. another thing u might try addin is some fleece over the rows after u have them seeded i have heard tha it does help. good luck, sockiescat:)
-- sockiescat

Ahh, wood ashes, still have a bunch in my wood stove - I'll try that, as I'm going to put in a fall crop next month.