Radishes are like wood

I planted a garden this year. This is the first time I have had a garden since I moved to this farm. I used to have gardens in the past so I pretty much know what to do. I have really good soil, and my hay crop proves it. The tomato plants are doing well, but I gave up on the lettuce because the rabbits eat it all. OK, I can live with that, but why are my radishes hard like a piece of wood? Their roots (radishes) are very tiny, and although they taste proper, they are so hard they can not be chewed. What would cause this? I should note that we have had very high temperatures lately, and while I have watered the garden a few times, I have not done it as much as I should.

I guess today I may as well rip them all out and replant them.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

not thinned; extended warm/hot weather; high nitrogen soil; dry; hard clay soil... or a combination of the above?

Reply to
hob

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com I planted a garden this year. This is the firs

time I have had a garden since I moved to this farm. I used to have gardens in the past so I pretty much know what to do. I have really good soil, and my hay crop proves it. The tomato plants are doing well, but I gave up on the lettuce because the rabbits eat it all. OK, I can live with that, but why are my radishes hard like a piece of wood? Their roots (radishes) are very tiny, and although they taste proper, they are so hard they can not be chewed. What would cause this? I should note that we have had very high temperatures lately, and while I have watered the garden a few times, I have not done it as much as I should.

I guess today I may as well rip them all out and replant them.

Mark

i dont know mark but it sounds to me like they didnt get enough water i found when i had my little garden that if i didnt water my radishe enough that they went that way as well. they are a part of the cabbag family maybe thats why they need a little more than some plants do. not sure maybe someone else has an opinion on this as well. good luck sockiescat :)

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

I sort of figured it was the weather. Not sure about the soil?

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff