Rabbits in the Garden & Animal Repellent Spray

Has anyone ever used Animal Repellent Spray in your garden to ward off the rabbits? Did it work? The cat keeps most of the rabbits out of my garden, but she can't stay awake 24 hours a day 7 days a week guarding it, LOL! We saw at least one rabbit in the garden yesterday evening. I'm thinking about buying some of that spray and see how it works, unless ya'll have any better remedies....and don't say shoot the rabbits, because I would NEVER do that....
Thanks for any help... Angie in the Boonies of East Texas
They work, but not convenient. Apply a 10 foot band around the area you wish to protect after every rain. An electric and/or chicken-wire fence works well, and less expensive in the long run. I use the metal "T" fence posts--cheap, easy to install and they seem to last a very long time. The green chicken wire is almost invisible and 2.5' high fence is enough for rabbits.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:49:31 -0500, "junkyardcat"

snipped-for-privacy@noone.com says...

I use pepper spray on flower gardens, and a couple of applications early in the year train them to not eat the flowers. In the veggie garden I've put 2' fences around the raised beds and they work fine.
I've had to add netting across the tops to keep the quail from declaring it a prime dust bath area :-).
And the ultimate rabbit repellent is a pellet gun. Most learn from a couple of light stings, but I've had to actually kill a couple of the really persistent ones.

says...

I'll add that if the OP is queasy about cleaning a rabbit for cooking purposes, but knows a hunter, it's worth the effort. Absolutely delicious. :-)
says...

But if you don't know how to check for rabbit fever, find someone who does.

Does it survive thorough cooking?
says...

OK, I'm doing this from long ago memories, so don't hold me to it. It appears as some sort of spotting or discoloration on the liver. I know that rabbit hunters (again, long ago) would open the gut, look at the liver (with gloves on) and discard any suspicious carcass. So my guess would be that it does survive cooking, although it could be they were just being overly cautious.

Mix your own repel spray by combining water, hot pepper flakes, garlic, a couple of drops of soap and maybe I forgot something. You're supposed to put in a jug and then let it sit in the sun for a while. Then strain and spray on your plants. You can call it your hare removal tonic. Har har. Kidding about the name, but seemed to work for me.

garden,
about
better
Well you can try to repel them but you have to keep doing it. I find something that automatically catches them and disposes of the corpses combined with good fencing to be most effective and least effort.
David
Homemade bacon for fruit trees (young) in autumn - rub the young branches, and possible atack spots, and they won't touch it for a whole winter- this is used here by old folk (hilly place). I saw foot steps of rabbits in a snow around fruit trees and if they find the one which is not covered, it's history. At least here rabbits respect this, but for vegetable garden - we don't have this kind of problems. Usually who has dogs, has no problems.

garden,
about
better
Fencing is the only sure solution to vermin rabbits.
Karl W.
Has anyone ever used Animal Repellent Spray in your garden to ward off the rabbits? Did it work? The cat keeps most of the rabbits out of my garden, but she can't stay awake 24 hours a day 7 days a week guarding it, LOL! We saw at least one rabbit in the garden yesterday evening. I'm thinking about buying some of that spray and see how it works, unless ya'll have any better remedies....and don't say shoot the rabbits, because I would NEVER do that....
Thanks for any help... Angie in the Boonies of East Texas
Too cute to shoot? Tasty, though.