Rabbits destructive this year

Page 2 of 2
brooklyn1 wrote:

Your experience is not universal. To accuse somebody of being a liar because they describe something outside your view is rather arrogant. The world is not necessarily like your back yard, although you are far from alone in acting as if it was.
Not all rabbits run under all circumstances and then not always in a useful way. Sometimes they freeze trying to avoid detection. I have walked up to one and got about 4 paces away before it gave up on trying to pretend it was a clump of grass and bolted. Since the dog was right next to me this proved to be a lose-lose situation. I have ridden towards one in the ride-on mower and it only ran when I got about 6m (20ft) away. I have run over rabbits in the car as often as wallabies which are the other common road kill here.

Put them in another environment (not a bare lawn with no cover) and they might behave differently. And you pulling faces at them out the window probably contributes to their nervousness.
David
brooklyn1 wrote:

this spring, we caught four by putting a bucket over them. we didn't even sneak up on them.

they are not the brightest of creatures. they often freeze in place making them quite easy targets. i plinked three of them in a row (to chase them off) and each of them sat there unconcerned as i pumped the air rifle and bonked them as i stood right out in the open about 20ft away. *pump x 3* *pft!* *bonk* *runaway*. laughed good at that one.
if i were seriously intent on doing them in i could have been eating rabbit all season and most of the shots would have been within 10-20yards.

not all rabbits are the same.
songbird