Rabbits destructive this year

Page 1 of 2
Planted eight cauliflower plants a week ago for a fall crop. The rabbits have sampled the leaves on every plant and have one down to nothing but a bare stem. Sad part is: I just can't fence off every bed in my yard. I plan to sow turnip seeds in this same bed in a couple of weeks. I'm just wondering if the pesky rabbits will destroy them also? Does anyone have a list of veggies that rabbits won't bother? I had plans to use this same bed next season for zucchini and straight neck squash.
Rich from PA
On 7/19/2010 12:19 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

General rule: If it's leafy and green, you must find a way to protect it from rabbits (I grow my chard in a little fenced yard of chicken wire - no problems). Outside of leafy and green, I have had no problem from the rabbits, but watch for posts from others on this topic - you may find out a lot. IME, rabbits are the biggest probem with flowers, not vegetables.
Tony M.

Rabbits go good with potatoes, onions and carrots. And a little wine.
Many years ago an elderly lady told me to fill mason jars half full of water, put on lids and lay on their sides in garden. Seemed to have detered rabbits back then. No rabbits around here now though, Coyotes took care of them up here in northern Michigan
http://community.webtv.net/viditom/FlowersJuly172006
diane wrote:

Yes what happens is that the sun's rays are focussed by the curvature of the jar and reflected off the water, and it zaps the rabbits, sends them away screaming. Works every time. You can use smaller jars, such as glass mustard pots, to get rid of mice. It also does hares in the same way. If you leave in some mustard you get jugged hare. Be sure to wear protective equipment when mowing though in case you forget how many jars you put out.
David
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (diane) wrote:

Got me thinking about this. I'd guess the water on its side acts like a prism. Slight movement and the light flashes sightly . The effect would sort of mimic the glint of a predatory hawks eye glint. Soft of a home made deterrent that is based on fear.
http://www.allpestexpress.com/rabbits.aspx
From above URL "spinning aluminum pie pans and glass jars of water have been used to frighten rabbits"
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
EVP MAN said:

Is it really not be possible to circle your plants or small beds with a ring of chicken wire? 18" tall would suffice.
Turnips, cauliflower: no difference to rabbits. A brassica is a brassica.
As for squash, expect to see large plants with no fruit, as the rabbits will eat the flowers / flower buds.
Last year when the little bunny breached my fence, the kohlrabi and the squash blossoms were the main victims. Rabbits like a nice chunk of apple even better, though, so I was able to trap it. (Trying to chase it out the gate with the assistence of my daughter was an act of farce.) I reinforced the fence where it had managed to squeeze through so no repeats this year.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

In forth:

Get a cat, rabbit problem solved<g>
I see three different cats prowling around the neighborhood at night and still have plenty of destructive rabbits.
In forth:

they must not be hungry or don't like their owners. i have one and he just brought one home last night and brings "something" very very regularly and leaves it on the back patio. Beams with pride for a little while, then eats it. The grankids(boys) thinks it cool
ChairMan wrote:

Sadly you cannot train a cat that some prey is acceptable and others are not, so they end up killing birds, reptiles and mammals that may warrant preserving. While I quite like cats I will not have them where they can prey on wildlife indiscriminately. OTOH a good dog can be taught to deal with the bunnies and other pests and leave the others alone. And they tend to eat in field which keeps the gore off the patio.
David
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:13:30 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

It's the rare domestic cat that will go after rabbits, and they first need to catch one and that is a near impossibility that a cat can out run a rabbit. The domestic cat preys on mice, moles, frogs, and small birds... they are not about to take on anything larger like crows, geese and such.
brooklyn1 wrote:

Cats do tend to take only smaller animals and birds. In some places domestic and feral cats have contributed to driving such natives towards being endangered or extinct. I haven't owned a cat that hunted rabbits but I have been told of cases where they hunt kits by surprise attack near the burrow rather than running down adults which does seem unlikely.

a manner. She would bring home carcasses several times a week, many of them adults.
forth:

I guess they're all different; mine only ever brought me baby bunnies, and he always kept them alive. He also didn't seem to mind my taking his toy away too much.
Vegetables can be effective weapons against rabbits. Had a family friend whose garden was always getting eaten up by them, one day out in the garden he picked up a turnip and knocked one stone dead. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Where do peeps come up with such claptrap... no way is a human or a cat gonna sneak up on a rabbit... they're one of the few critters that rarely even becomes roadkill. A rabbit can cover ten times the distance and at twice the rate of speed as a cat.
I see rabbits dashing about here nearly every day, those suckers can hear you coming from a long way off and be gone like a flash... just this morning:
http://i32.tinypic.com/6fqlis.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/zspjkg.jpg
forth:

Your rabbits seem especially skittish. I can easily get within a turnip's throw of one on any day. We're overrun with them here, you see. They live under a shed 25' away from the back door, under the HVAC unit, they even made a nest in the planter by the front door last year, I went ahead & planted my Coleus in it and have walked right past the nursing mother a couple times. They come up on our patio often and a few times have even stood upright and looked right through the screen door at us. Whenever I mow I'm afraid of running them over because they don't run until I'm almost right on top of them.
How they behave might depend on whether they think you can see them or not. But I agree, without some special circumstances I don't think a cat could catch a rabbit running. They are not immune from projectiles though, especially in the hands of someone experienced with moving targets :-)
Nelly wrote: ...

i've seen them stand up and look at their reflection in my car, but so far they have not tried to hump it so i guess it's ok.

certainly. they freeze even when they are right out in the open and they can clearly see me and i can see them.

cats get them here from time to time, and the hawks, too, but we don't have enough around to keep them away.
i would be so happy if we had a good control for deer, rabbits, raccoons and oppossum... coyotes and fox don't do enough. i keep wanting the wolves back.
songbird
In forth:

You believe what you want. I know for a fact that my orange tabby has brought 3 adults and countless kids home just this summer. 4 just in one day
ChairMan wrote: ...

yep, i remember going to get in the backseat of a friends car and on the floor was the bottom half of a bunny that the cat had dragged in. it was well known for many other creature hunts too. later in life it was funny to see it sitting on the floor of the living room with nine birds flitting around the room and bouncing on the floor and it would just sit there and look at them. never went after them...
"look what the cat dragged in" is not an empty expression.
songbird