Rabbit Eating My Lilyturf...

I have six Blue Liriope which were just planted this past spring. Recently, I have discovered a rabbit munching on them. He has one of them pretty much down to ground level and is working on doing the same to the others. Is there any cause for concern? Is there a way I can deter the rabbit?

-Felder

Reply to
Felder

1) Cage the plants. Don't ask how. A trip to a hardware store or home center will answer all your questions.

2) Kill the rabbit and cook it. Ask for more details if you're interested in methods and equipment.

3) Plant something the rabbit doesn't like to eat.

Wildlife is like teenage boys. If you don't want something eaten, you have to hide it, or make it painful to get to.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And my experience is that it has to be VERY painful for them not to eat it anyway!

Cheryl Isaak

I grow Hot Peppers and dry and grind them. Sprinkle a little on plant, they can't take it.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

I just read where Lilyturf can be cut to the ground in mid-winter to encourage a flush a new growth during the growing season. So, I think I'll let the rabbit do the cutting for me. They're first year plants and they were doing great so I think they'll be alright. Thanks for the replies.

-Felder

Reply to
Felder

I use a product called Deer Off - for deer and rabbits - you can get it at hardware stores or Home Depot - comes in a blue spray bottle for $19. You have to respray about every 4 weeks. Works really well. I have learned the hard way which plants the little darlins want...

I like this one best as you spray it right on the plant - there is another kind where you spray a barrier around the plant.

Also be sure they don't have any water they can get to... nothing you can do about a stream but keep all other water up higher for the birds.

Sterl> I have six Blue Liriope which were just planted this past spring.

Reply to
Sterling

Is it theoretically safe to spray on plants WE eat?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom