Quick Q regarding rabbits

Page 3 of 3

goats are browsers. they eat grass as a last resort, much preferring to eat brush. those foundation plantings wouldn't last long, but your lawn wouldn't get mowed until they were gone (unless you have rhodies. goats will eat those & die). plus goats do NOT respect fences. don't think a goat will stay in a fenced area unless *they* choose to. if they don't want to be there, no fence will keep them in. llamas do a good job of mowing, although they prefer browsing too. lee
I forgot one thing.. rabbits can't sweat, so they overheat quickly in the summer, and being in something like the chicken tractor kind of idea, they'd overheat if exposed to the sun beating down on them even with a roof over the thing, it wouldn't get a lot of air circulation, and the humidity on a lawn is usually high. You'd soon have dead rabbits.
Particularly if you were raising angora rabbits.! They need air conditioned housing in summer or they die. The only things they can do is hope you have them in the shade, and in a dry hot climate you could hang wet burlap bags over the overhang of the roof and the evaporation helps, but you have to be there to keep them wet..or you'll have dead rabbits to bury when you get home as they can only pant so much heat away!
On 21 Jan 2004 04:23:43 GMT, Ignoramus1390

Ignoramus3274 wrote:

I have a tenant who keeps rabbits on my farm. He feeds them almost all the weeds he can find. They seem to prefer the broadleafed weeds over the grasses.
As far as the "mandatory lawn trimming" is concerned, my lawn (~1 acre) gets mowed 3-4 times a year whether it needs it or not. I would not be able to feed many rabbits that way. By the time it gets mowed, the grass is too long to leave on, so it goes onto the compost pile. That compost gets returned to the lawn, since it is full of grass seeds.
Where do you live that requires you to mow your lawn, but they let you own rabbits? Sounds like a contradiction to me.
--
Say no to fixed width tables. They look terrible in all browsers.

Try almost any place in the U.S. A rabbit is a pet if not raised in mass numbers. One of the few zoning regulations that you see almost everywhere is that you have to keep you grass mowed - then you have the insanity that they had/have in phoenix where you must have a front lawn... (so your house can be an absolute eyesore but you can't have a natural meadow).... DKat

Ignoramus3274 wrote:

Rabbits, no. Guinea-pigs, yes.