Quick Q regarding rabbits

Page 1 of 3
I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?
I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F weather, in an unheated shed.
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:14:10 +0000, Ignoramus3274 wrote:

I can't believe anyone feeds rabbits, the bane of gardens. I feed mine steel pellets delivered via slingshot.

Yes, certainly it will work. Raise a litter of large rabbits and raise them on grass clippings. Slaughter most of them in fall for food. Keep your core breeding animals to raise a couple more litters next year.

says...

Well, you can feed them fresh grass clippings, as long as it's not contaminated with pesticide/herbicides. But rabbits need a varied diet. Alfalfa, weeds, vegetables, carrots, apples, potato peels, grain, a bit of salt: Mix those in with the grass and the rabbits should be ok.
You can always compost the clippings or use them for mulch, too...

Have you asked the chickens about that?
I hope you've got plenty of straw and bedding materials in there they can burrow into to retain body heat. Lots of food and unfrozen water, too.
FW

My sister's pet rabbit never ate much grass, but it liked dandelion leaves. So if you have weedy grass... Rabbits will eat seemingly anything including sofa, base board and electrical cords. (Hers had the run of the house. Luckily they can be trained to use a box like a cat.) They go apesh*t over African violet leaves and raisins. They'll eat the crumbs from your cereal boxes (not to mention the box itself). There are some things that you shouldn't give them including potatoes if I remember correctly.
--Art
I know two things about rabbits. 1. Heat will kill a rabbit 2. Food that we think is just fine for rabbits will kill a rabbit
Searching for links that give you the information you need is very easy and safer than asking a group of gardeners that may or may not have what you need to know and may actually out of ignorance tell you something that is dangerous for your rabbit.
try this link for example.. http://www.leithpetwerks.com/Bunfun/nonpellet.html
Sorry if I sound .... high on my horse... don't mean to. I just lost my bunny when I was a child because I did not know how to care for it and for a child feeling responsible for the death of a beloved pet was a bit hard.

I think your advice is good and very well placed I also lost a beloved pet due to child hood ignorance I never made that mistake again ever since I was six when I lost my Bunnie that was acctually her name ; I made sure from than on I read all kinds of books before getting a new pet My mom says I refused to get a kitten to replace my bunny untill I made her read me somthing like five books She had to read them because a six year old can only read so much. he he any way great advice Michelle
"Love is the water in the garden of life",
Some people ask where this quote came from , I wrote it in an essay for school along time ago the only time I ever won any contest

I'm very impressed with your maturity as a six year old... nice to hear about. DK

I'm not six any more I'm twenty six I was refering to the distant bearly rememberable past and I havent' kept rabbits for five years :-) and now I have a six year old of my own

I knew that!!! I was just seeing you as a six year old and finding it ... well nice... Both of my sons had those kind of moments. They are well past that age yet I can still see them as the babies they were and I still am surprised by the wisdom some children show (whether it be in the present or as they were). DKat

I lived next door to rabbit-for-food owners for a coupla years. My understanding from people who raise other livestock is that grass is not varied enough for much of any animal, all by itself. I'd compost the grass, use it to grow other things, feed the other things to the rabbits. My neighbors fed the rabbits all of their edible vegetable kitchen clippings.

My neighbor too, plus some hay, and the rabbits are fat and healthy. They are a large family who eat their veggies, so they produce about a gallon of scraps per day. Some of the stuff is obvious, like carrot tops, but the rabbits eat bread and apple, potato and banana peels too. They will happily eat discarded groceries, like half rotten apples or past -its-prime lettuce. Anything except orange peels or other weird stuff, like pineapple tops. They do love dandelions and clover from the yard, but do not care much for clippings, though I think they will eat them if they are the only green they get. If one is to serve them scraps and pesticide-free, very fresh grass clippings (cut grass goes bad in a day) perhaps a little high energy dry food (like oats) will make their diet balanced. Rabbits really are the cheapest meat to raise. Too bad the racoons like them as well.

thanks for the info.
when u live in the city, it's not necessary to grow rabbit food. Dumpster dive behind markets, and u will have more food than u can ever use

What makes you think they are doing great? Try this experiment: Put on layers of clothing to replicate what you think the chickens are protected with. Go outside in sub-freezing weather. Sit in an unheated shed. Come back in the Spring and tell us that you did great and I will believe that the chickens are ok. Ok?
Fito

I am not a chicken...
What makes me think that they are doing great is the fact that they look nice and make 2 eggs per day. They have non-frozen water at all times because I bought a "heated pet bowl" at walmart fr them, and I insert my waterer into the bowl. It was on sale for $5, I cannot believe it.
They also have plenty of bedding, which is just leaves from my trees that I collected in the fall. Non-frozen food, as well (not rock hard frozen, I would say).

Before reading any other posts about how I may be wrong, please accept my apologies for my sarcastic response. It just SEEMS too cold for them. I dont have chickens so what do I know.
Fito

these kinds of chickens are very cold resistant. I could not believe it myself at first. the important thing is not to have drafts.