Question/Recommendation For Small Evergreen

I'm looking to plant an evergreen by my front steps. The space is 3' by 4' and is surrounded by cement sidewalk on two sides and a chimney on one side. I'd like to get something that I can prune, and it's a plus if it doesn't grow fast. In any case, I don't want the tree going much higher than six feet. Two trees that I am considering are an Alberta Spruce and Arborvitae. Can either or both be pruned? I appreciate any advice and recommendations. Thanks in advance.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

Presuming your climate and exposure are suitable, Cryptomeria japonica 'Black Dragon' is a lovely little conifer.
Neither of the trees you mention take shearing very well. The spruce also would suffer in such alkaline conditions unless you amended regularly with an acidifying agent.
Another possibility would be a Yew, which are very amendable to pruning, or a broadleaved evergreen.
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com
I suppose my location IS a pretty important piece of information. I live in Connecticut. About 5 miles from Long Island Sound. I recently tested the Ph level of my soil, and it registered between 6.5 and 7. I used a home test kit, so I don't know how reliable they are.