Question on Tobacco Tea

Page 1 of 2
I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic' once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made it sound like a very good thing to do.
Clean-Up Tonic 1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap 1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash 1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea
The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this treatment spread the virus? According to sources online TMV infects and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids, and hundreds of other ornamentals.
Jim

Question: What bug problems are you trying to deal with? In other words, I assume you have sat in the garden with bug identification books, and specifically identified all the different bugs you see. Please tell me which "bad" bugs you're trying to get rid of.
I'm asking because it never makes sense to create extra work for yourself if there's no reason to do so. And, the tea you're thinking of making could also kill beneficial insects.
I will eagerly await your complete list of bugs you've identified.
The video was part of a Jerry Baker's Master Gardener series... It was presented as something you just do as regular maintenance; as a Best Practice in landscape care. His premise appears to be that stopping diseases and insect problems before they start by using safe non-toxic preventative care, is better than reactively treating once a problem appears.

I don't care who presented it. Did he say the tobacco tea would only kill the problem bugs? Do you realize that you need bugs to pollinate some of your vegetables?
oups.com:

Jerry Baker is a garden quack. if you really like your yard & garden, please do not follow his silly formulas & poor advice. lee
in

A big round of applause for wreck gardens! Do we have the best advice givers here or what? All of you/us are great. I think poor ol Jerry will never fade away, and we are doomed to be hearing his mal-advised-advice for years...............
Maybe we all should visit our libraries and find out if there are copies of this available and request that they be withdrawn, destroyed, or "lost" Our little Wreck Gardens Project for 2008
Emilie NorCal

Yer not s'posed to destroy books because you disagree about or not approve of what's in them. Can you say "First Amendment"? You might as well also forget about trying to legislate stupidity. Usenet would be among the first to vanish.
Val

What if a book in the library said it sex with minors was a swell idea?

You and the Altar Guild will have to take that up with the Supreme Court ;)
Val

I'll put that on my list of stuff to do, right after painting my bedroom and installing new window treatments. :)

Oh, now, Val, I have this vision, you see...................... Our Wreck gardens crew (Joe, Lee, Cheryl, Victoria, me and Janet you can come too- and any other volunteers) Dressed in black coveralls and floppy garden hats, we will storm our individual libraries, locate and smash any JB propaganda with our various garden tools.
Come and join us Emilie aka Carrie Nation who was in the llibrary this evening...................
news:e1391290-3bd7-48ec-a710-> Oh, now, Val, I have this vision, you see......................

Tell you what......I'll just sit by the phone with my change jar at the ready in case you need to make a "bail call".
Val
On 1/8/08 9:36 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@bubbleator.drizzle.com,

Giggle, snort - SPEW!
On 1/8/08 9:12 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@j78g2000hsd.googlegroups.com,

Actually, I dropped a word with the library staff years ago about Jerry B and he's mostly gone..and lots of organic books arrived. The local master gardeners did the same.

If it were prudent to be treating *everything* bad before it appears wouldn't that liken to everyone with a stray dog, skunk, squirrel wandering within 5 miles go in for 10 days of Rabies treatment just because? And what is "non-toxic" about tobacco and antiseptic mouth wash? What you spray up will drip down, never mind that you are killing everything good, bad or otherwise for no rational reason....what do you think this stuff will do to earthworms when it leaches into the soil?
Val

Observation: In biology class, 1970, we saw a movie in which a drop of pure nicotine was placed on the pink inside of a rabbit's ear. It died quickly.

Eeeew. This person sounds like they belong to the "Nuke it till it Glows" Brigade.
If you start on this journey, you will always have to do it all the time as you will kill all the good insects in your garden and if you stop the nasties arrive and may do a lot of damage before the natural predators can build up their numbers to counteract them. If you garden organically, you might occasionally have problems but the goodies and the baddies generally balance each other out (and it's less work).

Jerry Baker is the most unreliable resource for healthy gardens on the planet. Go from there.

Sounds like you got hold of some Jerry Baker schlock. Our PBS stations stopped carrying his programs years ago as well as his Sunday radio programs. More than a few organic gardening groups suggested he be strung up by the thumbs. The NW Flower and Garden show hasn't had him for a speaker in years because of the flack they got from "real" garden educators and the Master Gardeners Association about his misinformation and use of the unearned title "Master Gardener". I was riveted in the doorway (early 90s as I recall) when passing by one his seminars (everyone loves a good train wreck) when a gentleman stood and introduced himself as a professor and head of the U of W Horticultural Dept and went into a "what the hell are you thinking" demanding for a basis of his unfounded and potentially harmful formulas. Ol' Jerry was red in the face and sputtering when he just walked off the stage without replying......so ended a very short seminar. Never saw him again on the roster of speakers.
Here's an article you might find interesting. Rather enlightening about his qualifications and expertise. http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Whats/jbaker.htm
Val

Interesting! Thanks.
To the OP: Go to www.powells.com and find a used copy of "Crockett's Victory Garden", by James Underwood Crockett. Do everything he does.....
.....that you should ignore all his advice about the endless use of sprays & powders. He went way overboard. Maybe that's what killed him. Ignore all of it until you've managed to locate your public library and brought home some books (made of paper).