Question on basil plants

I was growing a couple of basil plants indoors for about a month and a half. They were doing well: 2"-3" in height, very green. Then the leaves got brownish-spots, they spot growing, and eventually the center stalk near the soil-line became brown and dry. Is this dampening disease?
I did have a fan blowing air to the sides, but not at the plants.

Damping off is the most likely culprit. In addition to lack of air circulation, the condition is also promoted by cool temps and too much moisture & humidity.
I did have a fan indirectly blowing on the plants. The temp was about 65F.

There are not many other reasonable explanations for the problem. Start over with more seeds.