Question: Is it OK to use Scott's Step 4 for New Seed?

I'm about to overseed my existing lawn. It's also time that I would normally lay down Step 4. The Scott's toll free hotline has told me that Step 4 can be used at the same time as overseeding and that it is not necessary to go out and buy the Starter fertilizer. Two different reps said the same thing. My concern is that the fertilizer numbers are very different in these two products. Step 4 is 31-3-8 Scotts Starter Fertilizer is 20-27-5 Has anyone used Step 4 in conjunction with overseeding? I want to trust what the Scott hotline says, but would like to hear any other thoughts before I proceed. Many thanks. Mike T.

Reply to
Mike Thompson

I don't know nuthin about Scott's 4-Step, but that N number looks kind of high. I'd use a "winterizer" formula when I overseeded it, and that's probably all the fertilizer it needs, unless maybe a *very* light dose of cheap nitrogen in the spring for the initial green-up. If you mulch your clippings, the grass can recycle the nitrogen all summer long; you'll give it another dose in the fall.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob