Question about spring bulbs

I live in Columbus, OH. I buried some spring bulbs (daffodil, iris, crocus etc.) around mid Oct.and covered with falling leaves. But several days ago, I found some bulbs already begun to grow with leaves coming out from the soil. Will these bulbs die in the winter? Did I plant these bulbs too early? When is the most suitable time to bury spring bulbs in my area?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jing Luo

Fooled ya, eh?

Some spring bulbs naturally produce their foliage in the late autumn. Its normal for them and the leaves typically suffer no damage from winter cold.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.

Thanks a lot. It's my first time to grow bulbs so I don't know this kind of stuff. Is there anything I can do to protect them for the frozen weather in winter?

Reply to
Jing Luo

I think this is a survival issue. The green tops come up as a marker in the fall to inform the wild gardener NOT to dig like mad to put new bulbs in THAT space.

Reply to
Sterling

They don't need any protection. They have been doing it for millions of years in the wild without protection. They are well adapted to the cold.

There really should be a list of bulbs that produce their foliage in that autumn so that new growers don't panic every year when this happens.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.

Yeah, except many of the ones that produce their foliage in the autumn tend to be rapid spreaders and weedy!!!

Its more likely its a strategy to dominate all the others in the immediate area by getting a very early head start.

You are right that many gardeners tend to over plant and they need a not so subtle reminder when to stop.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.