question about (really) early seed-starting

I'd like to start my seedlings really early next spring, but I don't have much room indoors. I'm going to set up a wood-frame and plastic tarp enclosure outside. I realize I'll have to get the seedlings to sprout indoors, and then I'll move the trays out to the enclosure asap.

Any advice on this? How early can I start this? Will the seedlings continue to grow when it's really still quite cold outside?

I'm in s/w BC (zone 8). Pacific Northwest for Americans. The temp only occasionally goes below freezing in winter, generally hovers in the 40's. Comments?

Reply to
Dennis Edward

I think you are in a good situation, relatively speaking. Seedlings actually prefer cooler temperatures (in the 60s) once they have germinated. Start them on top of your fridge, where it is warm, then move them outdoors. Find a way to moderate temperature swings inside the enclosure. You can have it under ground, you can add water containers (I have a 55 gallons drum), and you can have ventilation. Sterilize your trays well because the conditions will be generally conducive to damping off.

Reply to
simy1

What seedlings are you planning to start, and when? It sounds like you should be able to do it, but if you keep the seedlings too long in small cells, it will set them back and they could be passed by plants started later in the season.

Some plants will do well in the cool conditions and some won't. For example, you could grow lettuce as long as the temperatures stay above about 25 F. On the other hand, something like peppers or tomatoes would just sit there doing nothing.

Another thing to consider is that plants that require full sun will generally get leggy in winter light, which is much weaker than summer light in the northern areas. Cool growing temperatures will mitigate this somewhat. It's generally best for that kind of plant to keep the roots warm and the stem/leaves cool.

Dennis Edward wrote:

Reply to
dps

Hm, I should probably invest in some heating pads or cables, I guess.

Some stuff I'm intending to start way early, other stuff maybe just a month early.

Reply to
Dennis Edward