Question about pruning evergreen shrubs

I have read that one should not prune shrubs in the fall, since that will prompt them to put out more growth heading into winter. However, due to my extended absences this summer, my shrubs became overgrown and look really ratty. Do I really have to just grin and bear it until spring?
Thanks in advance for all advice, Jo Ann

Basically, yes.
Jo Ann wrote:

That really depends on the type of shrub and your climate. I prune my roses in late December or early January. I leave my citrus until the middle of March. I pinch back my eugenia all year long. But I have seen snow at my house only three times in the last 33 years.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Not really. But the question is what kind of shrubs? Ideally they should be pruned soon after they bloom. In general pruning does encourage new growth, but when the temperatures fall below 50 it won't produce much new growth.