Question about new lawn

I started a new lawn about a month ago. I live in northern Jersey and the backyard is about 50% shady. I used Scott's fall mix.
While I do have a lot of good grass...I also have a lot of bald patches (a few of the bald patches are due to my dog digging it up when I'm not paying attention to him).
I assume that being it's getting cold outside I need to wait to the spring to put more seed down? If this is correct, what month should I do this in?
Also, should I use starter grass seed for the bald patches, or should I use turf builder?
Thanks in advance.

paying
in?
I'd go ahead and toss it down now anyway -- worst case scenario, you have to spend 15 bucks on another bag of grass seed next spring. :) I did the same as you and started filling patches about a week ago -- it's doing just fine. FWIW, I've never been much for the extra special patching products -- just good ole grass seed always does the trick for me.
James Zone 6, SW Ohio