question about Lavendar

All I know is that it is a perennial, will grow in shade, and in my zone (3).

How tall does it get? Does it flower? or stay green? Anyone have pictures?

take care Liz

Reply to
MisNomer

There are pictures and some information in the articles listed on this webpage:

Sed5555

For starters- there are lots of Lavenders-

most common one that we have in big-box stores around here is one of the Lavendula Angustifolia's. I've never had much luck with it in shady spots.

I'm in zone 6 [more or less] and in bad winters it looks dead in spring, but the foliage is soon replaced with new growth. Some winters the foliage survives.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I'm in USDA zone 4 (Montreal) and last winter killed some of my lavenders that flourished last summer. I removed the dead plants two weeks ago. The variant was "Goodwin Creek" lavendula heterophylla, grown and sold in Canada. I was surprised and disappointed that this wasn't hardy. Perhaps it's hardy in Canadian greenhouses ;-)

Reply to
Christopher Fuhrman

I'm near Ottawa, and also lost my lavender this year after something like 6 years in the garden. What a shame!

Reply to
Lisa

Lavender likes full sun, and lots of it to grow well. Mine grow to a

3.5 foot dome, but I cut it back to 1 foot every year, and flowers are just starting to open (the bubble bees are having a party). Here in zone 7, it stays green all year. I've had some complements from the neighbors about the lavender. Looks and smells great. There are several varieties, and you may want to find which ones will grow best for your particular zone or grow it in a pot you can take inside during the winter.
Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks Christopher and Lisa! Didn't you both have really bad winters last year? I guess I will plant this in a more sunny spot then, and somewhat more sheltered than anticipated.

My sympathies on loosing the plants.

take care Liz

Reply to
MisNomer

I guess there are two lavenders, (English and French??) one is hardier than the other. I've never bought it because I heard it was only marginally hardy even in my area.. zone 6. But with the way the climate seems to be changing we might be upgraded to zone 7!

Janice

Reply to
Janice

There are many different types of lavenders but the English (Lavandula angustifolia) and the x intermedia hybrids tend to be the hardiest, usually reliably hardy to zone 5. Goodwin Creek Gardens lists 'Goodwin Creek Gray' only hardy to zone 7. Lavender orginates from Mediterranean climates and growing conditions which duplicate this rather specialized climate situation will offer the best luck for long term viability (mild winters and warm, dry summers with low humidity).

All types of lavender will do best in FULL sun with lean, well draining soil. Avoid fertilizing and too much water. In colder climates, you could try growing lavender in containers - move to a protected area in winter (above freezing) with bright light and keep pretty dry - only enough water to keep the plant alive.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

According to my gardener, this past winter killed off a lot of lavender. I'm in zone 5 and my lavenders didn't have any problems in previous years. This year, a lot of foliage died but the plant survived. The problem was a combination of bitter cold and lack of snow (which provides insulation).

Reply to
Chelsea Christenson

I had the same experience. My lavender is about 7 years old and got quite large. This winter a significant amount of the pants died back. They are about the bloom, but are only about a third the size they had been. I have Lavandula angustifolia (Munstead Lavender). Zone 6, SW Ohio

Reply to
Vox Humana

Here in Chicago, Mayor "Boondoggle Flower Pot" Daley had lavenders planted in many areas in the middle of north Ashland avenue. This is their third year and they are huge, now in full bloom, and look extremely healthy. I don't know what they did to keep them all alive over the past winter but I'm sure they didn't spare any expense.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

At least the money was spent on something that a lot of people could enjoy.

Reply to
Vox Humana