question about flower fragrance

Hello. I wonder if anyone can answer a possibly dumb question - it's a matter of settling a dispute. Does a frequently sniffed flower have less fragrance than one that is not sniffed? A friend of mine insists that roses at a convenient height for smelling always smell less intense than ones that you have to go out of your way to smell. He thinks that with each sniff, some of the fragrance disappears and is not replaced. I don't agree. If anyone has any knowledge (or even an opinion) about this, I'd be interested in hearing it. Thanks in advance.
http://www.cf.ac.uk/biosi/staff/jacob/teaching/sensory/olfactres.html it is called habituation, basically our smell receptors get saturated and the brain turns them off for that smell, the receptors wont fire again for a while. the rose is continually putting out the odor has nothing to do with being smelled or not smelled by humans. Ingrid

That's so funny. Ask your pal if an often-smelled cat turd also gets its odor sucked out of it by noses.
-paghat the ratgirl
whatever Wrote:

theres a thing a Viola...V odorata maybe ..which smells intense whe first sniffed then ya nose cant get the scent again for 3 or 4 hour coz the scent did somethin to ya nose...this is a fact
-- Eyebright