Question about Figs

I just realized for the first time that my glorious fig tree produces fruit without a flower. How does this happen? How is it fertilized.
Thanks in advance for any answers:)
Warhola

Figs are fertilized by a tiny little bug that crawls inside the flowers. The bugs get trapped in there. Did you really wanna know that? ;)

flowers are inside the developing fruit. wasps crawl in to fert the open type of fig. but most of the ones we grow are self fertile and the "eye" of the fig is closed. I dont know we even got the right wasp in teh US. Ingrid

Its easiest to think of figs as mulberries turned inside-out.
The fleshy receptacle completely surrounds the small flowers and access to them is by the small hole at the top.
Cut one in half and you will see that the flowers are actually on the inside.
wrote:

fruit

Pretty close to the same way that the worm fertilizes the Tequilla plant.
'enry VIII
The tequila plant, Agave tequiliana, flowers are bat pollinated, you dimwit.
Its your peanut brain that has the worm in it, Hankoff.

open
About the only thing the tequila worm pollinates is the imagination of a drunk! Cheryl
On 6/1/04 8:32 AM, in article lH_uc.604$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com,

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com in

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/04/030428082254.htm In this week's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Drude Molbo, postdoctoral fellow at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute and collaborators report that two genetically distinct species of wasps are present in at least half of the fig species surveyed.
Calimyrna Figs In California ... they needed a tiny female wasp pollinator from Asia ... Fig Wasps: Mechanism of Pollen Transfer." Science 163: 580 ... Coevolution of Ficus and Agaonidae." Annals of ... waynesword.palomar.edu/pljune99.htm
Gall Flowers In Figs ... Their coexistence with natural fig pollinator wasps is a ... Fig Wasps: Mechanism of Pollen Transfer." Science 163 ... Coevolution of Ficus and Agaonidae." Annals of ... waynesword.palomar.edu/gallfig.htm
cool info. Ingrid

i think i recall reading that growers place, at some spacing, branches of male figs among the female fig trees. but i didn't find that info when googling.