Question about Figs

I just realized for the first time that my glorious fig tree produces fruit without a flower. How does this happen? How is it fertilized.

Thanks in advance for any answers:)

Warhola

Reply to
Warhola

Figs are fertilized by a tiny little bug that crawls inside the flowers. The bugs get trapped in there. Did you really wanna know that? ;)

Reply to
The Watcher

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Its easiest to think of figs as mulberries turned inside-out.

The fleshy receptacle completely surrounds the small flowers and access to them is by the small hole at the top.

Cut one in half and you will see that the flowers are actually on the inside.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Pretty close to the same way that the worm fertilizes the Tequilla plant.

'enry VIII

Reply to
'enry VIII

The tequila plant, Agave tequiliana, flowers are bat pollinated, you dimwit.

Its your peanut brain that has the worm in it, Hankoff.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.wi.rr.com:

this week's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Drude Molbo, postdoctoral fellow at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute and collaborators report that two genetically distinct species of wasps are present in at least half of the fig species surveyed.

Calimyrna Figs In California ... they needed a tiny female wasp pollinator from Asia ... Fig Wasps: Mechanism of Pollen Transfer." Science 163: 580 ... Coevolution of Ficus and Agaonidae." Annals of ... waynesword.palomar.edu/pljune99.htm

Gall Flowers In Figs ... Their coexistence with natural fig pollinator wasps is a ... Fig Wasps: Mechanism of Pollen Transfer." Science 163 ... Coevolution of Ficus and Agaonidae." Annals of ... waynesword.palomar.edu/gallfig.htm

Reply to
Gardñ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

i think i recall reading that growers place, at some spacing, branches of male figs among the female fig trees. but i didn't find that info when googling.

Reply to
Gardñ