Q on Best Gardening Book?

Hi All,
Long time no post. Question for the group.... one of my best girlfriend's and her DH just bought their first home, complete with a perennial flower garden, of which she knows very little and has asked for my help. I'm much obliged to help but thought as a housewarming gift I'd get her a great big book of information on gardening, annuals, perennial, biennials, etc., a garden bible if you will. Something she can learn from and use for years to come.
There are TONS of books out there any advice on who does the best ones? This garden is in southern, NH. Perhaps I should go with a regional guide? Hmmm.
Thanks ~Catty One
Catty One wrote:

Your last idea is the correct one -- buy a book that is specific to your friend's climate and soils. My garden "bible" is Sunset's Western Garden Book. This would be quite wrong for your friend in New Hampshire.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Catty One wrote:

Jean zone 5 OH
2 books to reccomend One is called The Garden Primer writen by Barbara Damrosch The other is The well tended perennial garden by Tracy DeSabato-Aust
Last I heard Damrosch was living on the farm that Helen and Scott Nearing had up in Maine so she isn't writing about tropicals.
Get her a free subscription to the library! There are so called "garden bibles" out there, but I find them to be lacking in many areas. You may want to do a search online for a garden club in her area and ask them what their ideal book would be for a beginner. Storey books brand has a nice selection of intermediate and beginner books for gardening and many other subjects.
There is no one book.