Push Mowers

Page 2 of 2

Yeah thought of a string trimmer also
But Id "like" to use something simple and non motorized (no gas)
On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:55:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net opined:

Yes, for this a push mower is ideal.

I have a push reel (Scotts 2000-20 or something like that) and a crappy never heard of brand hand me down gasoline mower. Haven't had any desire to use the gas mower since I'd gotten the push reel (about a year ago). Now a manual push reel is not going solve all your problems or give you incredible bonuses like clandestinely instituting civil war among the squirrels, but it's a quieter, non-gasoline using alternative. Personally I don't think it's any harder to push than the gas mower ... assuming by 'average size lawn' you don't mean Donald Trump's butler's estate sized, I doubt you'll have any problems. If you have a hard time pushing up a slope, mow downhill or perpendicular.
The prices are kind of crazy, US$129 will get you a Scotts (up $10 from last year) or a low-end gas mower (minus the gas). For some models you can buy an attachment that lets you sharpen very easily, but first I will have to look at you like you are insane ... 8^! ... because I can't imagine using a 16" ... so tiny ... anyway the 2000-20 (20") manual says you shouldn't need to sharpen for several years, mine is still very sharp despite leaving it outside for several months in the weather. For the 2000-20 you can reverse the blades and run it backwards with some lapping compound to sharpen it.
You asked if a push reel is helpful, of course it isn't, unless you get a powered version, you are doing all the work although I think it's less work than pushing around a gas mower. Another downside is I don't think they are recommended for overgrown lawns and the product literature my model specificly says it's not recommeneded for use on St. Augustine grass. Also if you have a lot of tall cylindircal stalks, such as rye seed (?), these usually get knocked over rather than cut unless you are lucky and catch them right. You probably shouldn't get a push reel if you seldom mow your lawn (less than once per week depending on where you live I guess).