Pumpkins continued

I have two bright orange pumpkins, about 18" across. They stem seems to be hard and woody. I'm guessing they are in the latter stages of ripening. Should I pick them at any time? It may be 2 months before we get a frost, should they just sit there on the vine for a few more months until frost kills the vine? I'm not sure when or if i should pick them.

While the pumpkins are healthy and attached to the vine and the vine has leaves they will improve - or at least come to no harm. As soon as the frost kills the leaves the pumpkin cannot gain any more value from the vine so cut it. Obviously if it is detached or rotting leaving it there does nothing useful.
In some places where summer/autumn is warm and damp the fruit may start to rot on the ground, if this is a possibility you may need to grab them before the frost. So it becomes a juggle between maximum ripeness and size, and getting them in before they rot. You have to make this judgement on the spot not from somewhere around the world....like me.
David
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:20:20 -0700, "Zootal"

As long as the vine has leaves the plant is feeding the pumpkin. Place straw underneath the pumpkin to prevent it from rotting on the ground.