Pumpkins and Watermelons

Hi, I am trying to grow pumpkins and I was wondering if you have to grow it on a hill like you grow most squash. What conditions do you need for growing watermelon? Also, do pumpkins and watermelons grow in Colorado?

Thanks, Dylan

Reply to
Dylan

Of course they grow in Colorado. Everything grows in Colorado. Just pay attention to which zone you're in and plan accordingly.

Pumpkins are slow growing cold weather crop. They'll be ready for harvest in the fall. Watermelon are warm weather fruit that should have been started earlier and be already well under way (again, start only as early as your zone allows). Also, read the info that comes with the seeds/plants you plan to put in, and attend closely to approximated harvest time, plant spacing, water use, and the anticipated length of the vines.

Melons and pumpkins don't need to be grown "on a hill." They are planted in hills, which are actually only mounds of cleared and graded soil as wide in diameter as the particular plant is expected to spread. Plant two or three seeds or starts in each hill, and don't thin them unless they look ready to give up the ghost or show diseases.

Reply to
Pennyaline

Reply to
Dylan