Public Open Weekend

We are a family run wholesale nursery based in Hever in Kent. We grow perennials, grasses, alpines, herbs, veg, soft fruit, patio and topiary.

We supply garden centres, garden designers and local authorities.

2012 is our 30th anniversary year as a business and to celebrate this, we are having a series of open weekends to the public.

Our next event is June 16th & 17th from 9am - 5pm.

All welcome Simon

Reply to
SIMON SUTCLIFFE

Congratulations!

You're also SPAMMERS. You just SPAMMED the *worldwide* USENET with your local self-promotional advertisement. Suggest you take out an advert in your local paper or somesuch.

Don't pull the usual "oh, gosh, I had no idea, we were just trying to spread the word". It's tiring, and EVERYONE who resorts to plowing into some place they don't actually PARTICIPATE in to they can bomb it with advertising always tosses that up as their defence.

Reply to
Sean Straw

Well thank-you very much Sean for that warm reply! I trust you have no idea about running a small family nursery with an ethos on plants and not just money? To own your own business for 30 years, it takes time and dedication which means 7 days a week. Margins are very little in this industry, so if it were for the money I'd go and work in the city! I have a passion for plants and am very proud of my business. To call me a spammer I find very offensive! If you want to make capatalist rants, I suggest you take them to another site! For your information I have placed adds in local papers, but I thought TRUE plant lovers would like to be given the opportunity to visit us! We make charitable donations every year, so don't lump me in with MacDonalds, Facebook etc! Having said all this, you are very welcome to visit us for our open days, where you'll be welcomed with open arms! Good day to you.

Reply to
SIMON SUTCLIFFE

Oh dear my! I didn't think this was the atmosphere on this website... I was here for advice and all that feeling of belonging to a community and I see this! I don't know what to think now... Maybe I am just too old for this hate...

Reply to
Elisa

SPAM is SPAM. Telling someone off for abusing a resource isn't "hate". You may not care for my tone, but then, I don't care for spam.

Further, "this website" you're referring to - gardenbanter.co.uk - is a site that provides a web interface to the worldwide usenet - which is where all the postings are sent, and many of the replies come from. The spammer posted their promo to the world, not just their little corner of it.

Simon sez:

If that were truely the case, why resort to spam? Perhaps I misread, but it sure seemed like you were soliciting people to come to your business to purchase things, a process which generally involves exchanging money for goods.

There's also no evidence of prior participation here on your part - you found somewhere to post your advertisement, and boom, off it went.

Well, if it weren't for the money, people wouldn't resort to spam. They might use word of mouth, which is usually local and based on quality of product and service actually experienced by customers.

The act of spamming is offensive. Everybody who does it thinks the rules somehow don't apply to them, and that THEIR advertisement isn't spam, because they're not a spammer. Spammers are filthy people in some dark room sending advertisements for sex sites, pirated software, and bogus prescription drugs, not someone with a real brick-and-mortar establishment, right? The fact that a small business can blast their notice out in front of thousands to millions of people (nevermind that most of them are not in your region) for zero cost (to them at least) makes it really appealing, but it still doesn't make it right.

Capitalist rant? If anything it's an anti-capitalist rant, but it isn't - it's about the abuse of communication resources for the purpose of advertising.

I'm quite sure you do. What bearing does that have on whether spam is an appropriate advertising mechanism?

Checking... nope, McDonalds hasn't spammed me, and the only spam I get from facebook is by proxy - people I don't personally know uploading their addressbooks and using their service trying to get me to visit their page.

I still don't see the bearing that has on you posting spam to usenet though.

Not worth the airfare (about US$14K for upper class, and over $1400 for economy), and the plants would all assuredly be quarantined by the agricultural department on my return.

It sure would be spiffy if gardenbanter made more of an effort to educate its users of the fact that they're NOT posting to some local garden forum, but are instead posting to the worldwide usenet - it's referred to in their FAQ, but who reads those? Sadly, gardenbanter's user agreement makes absolutely NO mention of not using the service to send spam (really!). The core of their user agreement (outside of 'don't hold us responsible') seems to be this one passage:

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

They totally dropped the ball on that one - they don't even specify what country those laws are to be interpreted within. Agreements and contracts should not be based upon assumptions.

Spam is bad. People who post it are "spammers". Don't want to be called a spammer? Easy. Don't post spam.

Reply to
Sean Straw

My spamming days are well officially over!! Sean and yourself have made me see the light! I've stopped bombarding the world with my world dominating open weekend message!

I'm resigned to the fact you Yanks have nothing better to do than read me my rights as a hardened criminal! I shall no longer be upsetting you all with such offensive material and concentrating on what I love - plants and gardening!

Let's start over guys - my favourite plant is the good old Echinacea and all it's subsequent cultivars - oh and an American prairie plant if I'm not mistaken? You have a fantastic plant breeding programme with the Terra Nova Nurseries. Cultivars that have adapted extremely well to the good old UK are Tomato Soup and Fatal Attraction - discuss!

Reply to
SIMON SUTCLIFFE