Pruning wild rhododendrons?

We have a rhodie, transplanted to our garden from Mt Townsend on the Olympic Penninsula in Washington.

It has become too leggy for our present setting (These plants normally grow to 10 - 12 feet or so, with blossoms only on the top third).

We would like to prune it down to two feet and let it start over.

  1. Is this advisable?

  1. Can we do it now, or should we wait till winter?

Thanks in advance!

Dwight

Reply to
Dwight

To increase rhododendron bushiness, in spring break off half of each new growth... then as each flower fades break those off too.

Brooklyn1

Did you have a permit to remove the rhododendron from the Olympic National Park?

Reply to
Travis

Reply to
Travis