Pruning wild rhododendrons?

We have a rhodie, transplanted to our garden from Mt Townsend on the Olympic Penninsula in Washington.
It has become too leggy for our present setting (These plants normally grow to 10 - 12 feet or so, with blossoms only on the top third).
We would like to prune it down to two feet and let it start over.
1. Is this advisable?
2. Can we do it now, or should we wait till winter?
Thanks in advance!
Dwight

To increase rhododendron bushiness, in spring break off half of each new growth... then as each flower fades break those off too. http://www.rhododendron.org/pruning.htm
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 08:15:51 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

I don't think "breaking off" branches is very good advice to say the least.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 20:52:00 -0700, Dwight wrote:

Did you have a permit to remove the rhododendron from the Olympic National Park?
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington