Pruning Tiger Lilies and Hydrangea?

Please excuse a newbie question - I was told by a neighbor that I should prune back my hydrangea and tiger liles to about 6" off the ground in late October up here in Mass. Is this true, and should I also mix in some some fertilizer now to help next year's blooms? Thanks!
--- John
None of the various species of Hydrangea require drastic or even regular pruning, other than the removal of dead flower heads usually in the spring along with any weak or damaged shoots. With H.macrophylla any really aged branches can also be removed at the same time to regenerate new growths. Tiger lilies can be cut to ground level now if you wish.. Best

This site has some info on hydrangea pruning:
http://www.conweb.com/hydrangea/pruning.shtml
In zone 7b-8, I simply clip off totally spent blooms in late fall and totally dead wood or missed blooms in late spring. Be careful, however. Dead *looking* stems often produce new leaves and flowers.
Tiger lilies (Lilium lancifolium) do not requre pruning. The foliage dies down after blooming and the bloom/leaf stalk may be removed after it has browned and dried. It's done. Next year's blooms come directly from the bulb.

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/cmrec/art4.htmOn

The neighbor probably means well, Take and remove the tiger lilly foliage right to the ground. Leave the hydrangeas alone. ( you could remove real spindly stems clean to the ground) Fertilize in the spring.