pruning lilacs

Can anyone tell me when the best time to prune lilacs. Some say: right after they bloom and die. Some say early spring I would love more info becouse my lilacs have been very short in blooming the last few years. THANK YOU
I say right after bloom, before they go to seed, and before the summer solstice. This will lead to the best allocation to new types of buds for the plant.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC