Pruning Blueberry Bushes

I have two spindly Blueberry Bushes and wondered if I cut them back considerably if they would bear more fruit. If so, when would be th best time to do so?

Reply to
Connecticut

What month do your bushes bloom? Some bushes bloom on last year's growth, so if that is the case you will get less fruit.

Reply to
Phisherman

My bushes bloomin late June and early July.

Reply to
harryd7521

Remove any branches that are peeling bark as they are beyond 5 years in age, cut them as close to the ground as you can. This will stimulate the production of new wood which will bear heavily from year 2-5. Do your pruning in March.

Reply to
beecrofter

There are many reasons why blueberries are not productive. Mainly they need a suitable polinator... with just two bushes of unknown type they may not be suitable for polinating each other. Also blueberries are very slow growing long lived plants, so don't expect much for at least ten years. You also need to maintain a properly acidified nutritive soil. Actually pruning is the least important aspect of blueberry growing affecting production... trim away dead wood anytime after berry production ceases. And of course you need to protect your berries from preditors, if not you will get no berries.... crows will land on the new tender top growth and break it off with their weight, your plants will never grow... I keep large tomato cages over mine with netting draped over. I have a dozen plants, three each of four different varieties that fruit early, mid, and late season... I harvest about a cup a day during the summer. I suggest planting more bushes to increase your crop.

Reply to
brooklyn1