pruning advice for my dwarf lemon tree

Hello... I've looked back through the posts but can't find any to answer my question...

Does anyone know what to prune away and what to leave on a very young dwarf lemon tree?

I've had it for 6 mos. and it has flowered, grown one lemon the size of a dime, and now looks to be flowering again...should I prune the new flowers...or some? It looks like so many...I am clueless and thankful for any advice!

Best,

Ivy

Ivy

Citrus is never pruned promote fruiting (as you would prune a peach). Citrus is pruned only to remove deadwood and for correction (e.g., removing crossing branches or branches that touch the ground). In a garden, citrus is also pruned for aesthetic purposes; but I would let your young tree grow at least a year before doing that. In a container, you might want to trim back an established dwarf citrus tree to keep the foliage commensurate with the constrained roots; 6 months is generally too soon for that.

Citrus is self-thinning. If it sets too much fruit, much of the immature fruit will drop off the tree by itself. A failure to keep any fruit might indicate a lack of nutrients. For citrus, zinc in important; but you use only a very small amount (in a container, perhaps a teaspoon per two months).

For my own experience in growing dwarf citrus in containers, see .

Reply to
David Ross

Reply to
Ivy