pruning abelia

i have "edward goucher" glossy abelia planted in front of my porch as "foundation plantings". i planted them from containers this spring, and they're getting extremely leggy, and the long, straight stems run out horizontally from the plant. there's some thicker, shrubbier bits at the bottom, which are blooming nicely right now.

the question is, how and when should i prune the long leggy bits to promote a more even growth? or is this even possible? i've currently got the long stems tied and staked so that they don't run out into the lawn.

oh, i'm in zone 8, if that matters.

-kelly

Reply to
culprit

I see from your other post that you are in Washington and if in zone 8, that means western Washington. Here, you can prune back those leggy bits now. FWIW, Abelia 'Edward Goucher' gets to be a big rangy, arching shrub - easily

6'x6'. You might want to reconsider the placement of this is that is too large for your area. IMO, continual pruning of abelia is not desireable and other than an occasional trimming of really wayward growth, they should be left alone.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

I have 'Edward Goucher

You might want to reconsider the placement of this is that is too

I have Edward Goucher in Northern CA zone 8. It is a big! shrub reaching 8 feet.

It defintely wants to be a large shrub and will require much time to try to keep it small,not a front of the porch plast.

Indeed, it is a lovely arching shrub with flowers that are loved by butterflies and hummingbirds. Hardly ever out of bloom when it is not scalped and forced to be a Meat Ball Bush. Nicely scented, too.

Emilie NorCal zone 8

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

Pruning help:

your library. Make sure its by SHIGO. Or cantact them for a copy. Its a great source.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.

thanks. we may wind up rehoming it to the side of the house. the tag said it was a compact variety, that it shouldn't get taller than 4 feet. of course, it's already bigger than that after just one year. :-) that's what i get for trusting the tag!

-kelly

Reply to
culprit

You can prune the bejeezus out of Abelia. Cut buggywhips back to likely-looking nodes; it will bounce back and branch quickly.

You can even shear it, but I don't like to do so, as it cuts down on flowers. Just set limits on how big you are going to let it get, and head back anything that grows out of bounds (which it will do enthusiastically).

Reply to
Christopher Green