Pruning a Contorta?

I have a Contorta shrub next to my deck that I absolutely love for its twisty shape in the winter (reminds me of bonsai). However, it tends to grow wildly in the summer, becoming much larger than I would like. Does anyone know the best approach to and time for pruning a Contorta?

Thanks in advance, Jo Ann

Reply to
Jo Ann

Is that a Salix (willow) Contorta ? In general prune in summer to limit growth, prune in winter to encourage new growth.

Richard

Arborsmith

Jo Ann

I would suggest before pruning woody plants (Most have branch collars) that one would review the contents of this book.

Maybe your library can get it.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding. KICK RICK SANTORUM OUT IN 2006!

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.

No, it is a Corylus avellana -- a type of hazel, I believe -- considered a "specimen or shrub border" from what I've been able to find on the Net (mine is a single, thriving specimen). Limiting new growth is the goal I'm after.

Jo Ann

Arborsmith wrote:

Reply to
Jo Ann