Protecting Hummingbird Chicks

Got 2 of the little nuggets poking their heads out of a next. I notice a wandering housecat under the tree today. I'm trying to watch and keep running it off as much as I can.
Question.... the nest is on a thin branch that won't hold the cat's weight and is out of it's reach. If they fly off, all is good. But I don't know anything about hummingbirds.... Anything I can do to keep the cat away in case the land on the ground? I thought about red pepper, but that might not be good for the birds.
Any advice appreciated. Will upload a photo of the birds in the nest to tinypic later tonight.
On 6/13/2016 7:43 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Do not worry about the hummingbird chicks. Hummingbird parents can be extremely viscious in defending their nests and young. I have seen hummingbirds attack ravens that merely happened to be near the nest but were not bothering it.
--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/
On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 19:43:17 -0700, Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney wrote:

Do you know who owns the cat? Maybe if you explained what was happening?
Cats are one of the dominant killers of birds in this country - you're right to be concerned.
Frank Miles wrote:

Actually the dominant killers of birds are primarily windows, then windmills, airplanes, and high tension wires... cats kill relatively few birds, and mostly for food. Very often when your cat drops a bird at your doorstep it was a bird that slammed into your window that your cat put out of its misery. If you don't make your windows safe for birds you have no right to complain about cats. I feed birds including humming birds, I also care for feral cats. I've never seen a cat go after hummers, hummers rarely if ever perch on the ground, hummers are extremely alert of their surroundings, their little heads are always bobbing about being watchful when at their feeders. Cats don't even notice hummers not anymore than they notice wasps and bees. If you care about birds hang CDs and sparkly ribbons in your windows, never place plants in your windows, and place outlines of raptors in your windows.

http://www.duncraft.com/Window-Strike-Solutions?view_all&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Window%20Bird%20Decals&utm_term=bird%20window%20clings&utm_content=Window%20Bird%20Decals http://www.critterguard.org/index.php?/Raptor-Protection.html
On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 16:58:24 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

view_all&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Window%20Bird% 20Decals&utm_term=bird%20window%20clings&utm_content=Window%20Bird% 20Decals

Windows are pretty bad. But cats are the next leading killer. See: http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/causes-of-bird-mortality/
Windmills are down in the noise, unless you want to include high-tension power lines in the mix.
On 2016-06-16 15:46:30 +0000, Frank Miles said:

Cats get a lot of birds but I'd imagine vanishingly few hummers. I've seen more hummingbirds killed and eaten by ambushing Chinese mantids (2) than by cats (0). I've spent hours watching the cats try while the mantis incidents were observed by happenstance.

watch

cat's

But I

keep

red

nest

you're

relatively few

at

cat

birds

I've

the

little

feeders.

and

view_all&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Window%20Bird%

20Decals&utm_term=bird%20window%20clings&utm_content=Window%20Bird%

high-tension

the

This neighborhood roving cat regularly drags birds around the yard.

few

I'm only talking about newborn birds in the nest or on the ground.
in message Got 2 of the little nuggets poking their heads out of a next. I notice a wandering housecat under the tree today. I'm trying to watch and keep running it off as much as I can.
Question.... the nest is on a thin branch that won't hold the cat's weight and is out of it's reach. If they fly off, all is good. But I don't know anything about hummingbirds.... Anything I can do to keep the cat away in case the land on the ground? I thought about red pepper, but that might not be good for the birds.
Any advice appreciated. Will upload a photo of the birds in the nest to tinypic later tonight.
Well, the cat worrying is over. Last night they were in the next as usual. This morning mama and the 2 chicks were no were to be seen. No feathers in the yard so that's a good sign.
On 6/22/2016 9:09 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

By the way, they were in a NEST, not a next. At first, I thought that were merely a typo; but when you repeated it, I realized a correction was needed.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/ .

Truly the blind leading the blind! LOL