Protect Tree Stumps

I have several tree stumps that I would like to protect from rotting and insects. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to seal the stumps? Thanks.

Reply to
Paul

Polyurethane. Spray it on in numerous, thin layers.

Reply to
Warren

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Paul) wrote in news:8b7387b6.0308301531.91c7e00 @posting.google.com:

A tree trunk comes to mind.

Haha comedy.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Minwax Wood Hardener

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

"JNJ" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Have you guys actually done this? Seem to me that if the stump were still alive, it'd still be trying to pump water up the stump and sealing it would only cause moisture problems under the polyurethane. Additionally, if I recall correctly, all the spray poly I've seen in stores is water based and not recommended for use in wet areas such as kitchens, bathrooms and tree stumps.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

What about Marine Spar Varnish? That comes in spray cans, too.

Reply to
Paul Below

Paul Below wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not having a boat, I wouldn't know. But I did refinish some kitchen cabinets recently, and I"m pretty sure all the spray stuff was water based, or else I probably would have used it.

If water under the coating isn't a problems, the ad man says Thompson's Water Seal is good.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

"David J Bockman" wrote in news:9Na4b.5200$vm2.232 @nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

The Miniwax stuff works as advertised but smells awful. There's a competing product that seems to work just as well (for hardening rotted wood), but I forgot what the name is. It's a white liquid and I think it has a beige label in a white plastic bottle. Lowes carries it. Not nearly as noxious.

I don't work in the "trades" so that's my unprofessional opinion.

- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Thanks for the replies. I neglected to say that these stumps will remain outdoors in year round weather conditions including freezing temperatures. Is polyerethane still the recommended solution? Thanks again.

Reply to
Paul

My 2 cents would vote for either the wood hardening resin or something that is absorbed into the wood such as cooked linseed oil rather than simply putting a layer of poly-urethane finish on it that the weather will peal off. I personally like the wood I gather and keep in the yard to rot and feed the soil(each year the fungus gets prettier). Of course where I live getting replacement logs is easy since someone always seems to be cutting down a tree near by and people are even happy to deliver since most Long Island yards tend to run to the sterile grounds, polyester look. DK

Reply to
dkat

One stump is a real tree stump still in the ground. I have 6 others that are cut and movable. I would like to protect all of them from insect damage and rotting. Thanks again.

Reply to
Paul

Linseed oil isn't waterproof. I know this from experience with rifle stocks. It looks great, but it isn't very protective against serious moisture.

Tung oil might work, but I don't know how well it would do with year round exposure to weather, UV from sunlight, etc.

Any stump that is still in the ground has a big problem--insects could attack it from below.

As you say, a penetrating polyester or epoxy resin would be best.

Then there's always the petrified wood stump...

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

Nothing will work forever; the part of the stump that's still in the ground will eventually rot, and it will spread up from there. However, you can delay outside-in rot for several years with a good application of matte acrylic or polyurethane floor varnish.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

Thanks for that bit of information.... I'm glad to have that tucked away now. Don't suppose you know what kind of oil they use on boats? (my friend used to use something to make the mahogany trim on her boat all fresh and new each season and then would re-oil it)...

Reply to
D Kat