Propping up a young tree (in slightly unusual circumstances)

Hello,
Sadly I lost my pet cat in a road accident and have subsequently buried her beneath a fairly young Columnar Apple tree in a large pot in my yard.
The tree is looking a bit weak to stand up to strong winds and I want to prop it up but do not want to use a stake because I don't want to spear the cat's body.
What other kinds of 'out of soil' prop would anybody recommend? Thanks Jonathan
--
Childbirth

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:16:04 +0000, Childbirth

You let your cat drive, did it at least have a driver's licence?

Damn... it's only August but I bet you're the sickest bastard I will encounter for 2012.
Childbirth wrote:

Not sure if you're serious, but how about a cinder block?
Bob
since I now am trying to grow a grapevine I discovered one method you could try, hardish to describe tho
plant stakes either side of it firmly in the ground with wiring/string in between them horizontally taught, with it crossing the path of your tree,and then using another piece of string tie the plant to the wire, Ive no idea how well this would work for this so you'd need some pretty strong, long stakes that sit firmly in the ground surrounding the plant, and you can use several horizontal wires at different heights if you wanted to give it more support until its strong enough by itself.
Just a thought
--
zibafu

See for pictures <http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1428.html or <http://extension.wsu.edu/maritimefruit/Pages/GrapePruningBasics.aspx
The cordon pruning is also done for fruit trees, i.e. apple.
In commercial vineyards the end posts are braced.
|\-------/|
--
Welcome to the New America.
<

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:16:04 +0000, Childbirth wrote:

Your cat shouldn't have been outside. The cat is dead and will not feel the stake.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Yep, that cat is beyond caring.
The cat should have been buried deep enough that a tree stake wouldn't reach. I can get down 4 feet with a post hole digger pretty quickly.
--
Dan Espen