Proper soil for planting cherry/pear trees

I just bought potted Bing Cherry and Asian Dwarf Pear trees (both about 5 feet tall). The kids in the garden center had no clue at what type of soil is best. I just know that if I just plant in regular top soil mix, they will die (as did other trees I tried to plant). Can someone please tell me the correct top soil/peat moss/etc ratios. (I know about the good drainage needs already).

Thanks a lot, Ron

Reply to
Ron Wood

Hi Ron,

In broad terms, MAWD. Moist, slightly acidic, well-drained. If thery're going in the ground, pick a spot in full sun with ample drainage, and amend well (I would amend liberally with oakleaf mold, if they were mine, and in my soil conditions, for example.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Ron , the current favored (these things change with time) horticultural practice is NOT to amend planting holes. Assuming you are planting directly in the ground and drainage is good, the existing soil is preferred over amended soils. One reason is that there will exist a change in texture between amended and non-amended soils, creating drainage issues. A second is that non-amended planting holes will encourage the tree to extend its feeder roots more quickly into the native soil rather than soaking up all the goodies in the amended hole and venturing no further. This results in a stronger and more well developed root system. The only caveat to this is if your existing soil seriously lacks fertility (test to make sure first), in which case you can add organic matter (no peat moss) at a ratio no more than

25% of the backfill, but my preference is to mulch with organic matter rather than to add anything to the planting hole.

Any amending should be done over a large area - ie., a brand new planting bed - so that the soil texture and composition over an entire area is amended, rather than just a planting hole. I doubt your previous trees died as a result of merely poor soil quality - trees (and other plants) are immensely adaptable and will grow as long as sunlight, water and basic nutritional needs - present in even poor quality soils - are met. Of these, water is the overriding factor for new plantings. Water deeply and often for at least the first two growing seasons and any other time rainfall is scarce.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I was also wondering how long can I keep the trees in plastic planters (I bought them in). Is it better to wait a year or two or will it be less "shocking" to the trees to plant them now.

Reply to
Ron Wood