Propagating wintergreen?

I'm looking for tips on propagating wintergreen, the evergreen found in the Eastern U.S. I haven't found much on the web. It seems I can plant the seeds from the berries or take cuttings from the soft wood.
Thanks,
Charles Woolever
Do you mean Gaultheria procumbens??
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Root material seems to propagate well. i would look for wild growing plants with lots of runners that are clearly layering in. Take these and use them as starter material. I have not done this a great deal with Gaultheria, but it seems like it should work for you.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
See here for propagating them: http://www.botany.com/gaultheria.html
Spark

"Spark"

are these the ones that form a 2 to 6 inch matt? I sure would like to try to grow some as i use Wintergreen in some of my herbal formulas and i love the scent. Leo
| I'm looking for tips on propagating wintergreen, the evergreen found in | the Eastern U.S. I haven't found much on the web. It seems I can plant | the seeds from the berries or take cuttings from the soft wood. | | Thanks, | | Charles Woolever
Where do you live Charles?????
IME, where conditions are friendly for Wintergreen ( AKA CheckerBerry, Tea-Leaf) they spread in mat-like form all by themselves. Coastal Maine ( Hancock county) they are often found in competition with Mountain Cranberry, in shallow, acid, forest soil over sharp shale and ledge ( glacial leavings). The soil is poor, the drainage constant.
200 miles west in Oxford County, I can't grow either of them on my property. I have the acid, forest top layer, but the under-layment is sandy loam ( old river-bottom).
I'm suggesting that propagation may not be your only problem-- if you don't have the right conditions, they just won't thrive. They are "niche growers".
My 2 cents, not to be a downer.
Sue Western Maine
Western New York State. We have a tree that has had a wild wintergreen plant growing at the base of it for at least 40+ years. The plant is only on one side of the tree and never spreads but otherwise appears healthy and pest/disease-free. I'd like to cultivate it else where and I'm partially worried about losing it outright although the area sees little foot traffic. Just had the soil tested. It is loam with a pH of 6.4. The whole area is a simple lawn at a cottage with leaf litter raked every fall. Nothing fancy.
Good to know about the specific conditions and may explain why it is really behaving like a "niche" plant like you noted. The plant lives in a 1 foot square area and no where else!
Thanks,
Charles