Problem with scion.

I bought a tree this spring from the local nursery and planted it according to the instructions.
It is a Golden Ash.
It has been grafted to some rootstock.
Now the rootstock is shooting and the Golden Ash scion looks sick and colourless and not even budding at all.
Is this normal?
Please help, Peter.
Hi Peter, I'm not even sure why this Golden Ash was grafted in the first place, unless you wanted a reduced size tree. I am only familiar with grafting of fruit trees and I have not heard anything about grafting deciduous trees, but I suppose there are special cases where this is advantageous. If you want some general information on Golden Ash, try this site: http://www.hort.cornell.edu/uhi/outreach/recurbtree/pdfs/07Fraxinus%20excelsior.pdf
It certainly does not seem normal. Have you talked to the nursery supplier about this? I believe this tree is hearty to zone 5, so I hope you are not out of it's recommended climate zone. Once a scion successfully attaches to a rootstock, it usually will survive, unless it was attacked by some disease, or some environmental thing.
Sherwin D.
Peter Jason wrote:

Thank you for this information. I happened to be at this nursery (actually it's a megamart with a plant section) last night and I noticed all the remaining stock of Golden Ashes were performing the same way. I'll check this out at the local School of Horticulture. Peter.

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/uhi/outreach/recurbtree/pdfs/07Fraxinus%20excelsior.pdf

maybe the grower systematically goofed the whole batch.. grafted the wrong block or rows.. incompatible rootstock?

Gard@Gard.info wrote:

This may be of some interest. http://www.scion.com /
;-)

USDA Zone 8

In the last week a few stems of the scion has shown a bit of growth. Should I cut off all of the rootstock shoots?