Problem with conifers

Hi, can anyone help with my problem? I have 5 ft conifers along a boundary fence, that are a year old. They have been fine but now look as though they are dieing, going brown from bottom up. I have always watered well in fact they are on an irrigation system but is it perhaps that they are getting too much water?
Any advice appreciated, thx.
--
SharonW

Good question. Most tree trouble tend to be in the rhizosphere: An article on such: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html
Other than that here are the most common problems.
--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

What kind of conifer, and what is your location? A picture would help, but, browning on one side, or all over? What is the overstory, if any?