Problem with a maple tree - help!

Hi everyone
I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I am having with the maple tree in my front garden.* It is a fairly large tree (about the height of the house) and is probably around 25-30 years old.
Since I moved in around 4 years ago, it has always had very thick, green leaves every year.* Last weekend,*I had a professional out to cut it back (basically reducing the height) because it was getting quite tall.* This week, however, I have noticed that all of the leaves near the top of the tree in the middle (mainly where it was cut) have gone brown and wilted (a few have fallen off).* As the week has gone on, I have noticed more and more of the leaves on the tree are turning brown and wilting, not just where the tree has been cut but also on the lower and outer branches.
Is this normal when you cut back a maple tree?* If so, will the leaves grow back this year?
If this is not normal, does anyone know what this could be and how I can fix it??* I was hoping to sell the house*this summer*and I don't want a tree in my front garden that looks like it is dying.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!* If it makes any difference, I live in the West Midlands, UK.
Thanks very much
Matt
--
Matt1984

On Fri, 10 May 2013 15:41:08 +0200, Matt1984

It would help to know what type of maple, however spring is not a good time to prune maples. But if you're planning on selling your house it would be best to have the tree removed entirely, a heavily topped tree will be an eyesore.

I wonder about your "professional". There are tree cutters and there are tree surgeons. I'm neither but suspect it was cut at the wrong time of year for one thing, Topping a tree is usually not good practice if deciduous.