Privet Hedges

Hi Everyone. I just got 30 privet hedges delivered to my home yesterday and am ready to plant them as a screen around my patio. Quick questions for the group regarding planting them:
1) Should I amend the soil with some cow fertilizer at the base of the planting hole like I usually do for roses etc? 2) Should I use some fertilizer right after planting them to get them going, or should I wait a few weeks?
Thanks for any input!