privet hedge

hello ive got a privet hedge that slowly died, it was very old and slowly section by section died, there was no evidence of infection? and ive now dug it all out.
I intend to plant red robbin, how would you treat the ground or would you just plant?
thank you
--
china35

I'd treat the ground the same as when planting any shrub, till deep and mix in plenty of organic matter; peat moss, compost, etc. Do NOT add fertilizer to new plantings, it will inhibit proper root development... fertilize the second year, time release granules work best.
china35;963085 Wrote: > ive stripped our rockery any sugestions on what to plant?
If you look in your local garden centre you should find a section with alpine or rockery plants, anything here should be fine as long as the drainage in your rockery is adequate.
I'd also suggest evergreen plants such as dwarf conifers and dwarf hebes to give some all year interest.
--
StephenR