Privet

Anyone ever transplanted Privet in January? I have a fast growing evergreen privet that seeds itself all over the place.
I need an evergreen shrub to act as a screen so I thought I might use the Privet.
Today (in Zone 5) it's going to be in the 60's. The ground is wet and certainly not frozen. However, by Friday it will be down close to zero.
If I were to transplant these Privets, would they live?
Pixi
: Anyone ever transplanted Privet in January? I have a fast growing evergreen : privet that seeds itself all over the place. : : I need an evergreen shrub to act as a screen so I thought I might use the : Privet. : : Today (in Zone 5) it's going to be in the 60's. The ground is wet and : certainly not frozen. However, by Friday it will be down close to zero. : : If I were to transplant these Privets, would they live? : : Pixi : : :
Around here it is a declared noxious weed, we have poisoning parties in the spring to stop it taking over the landscape. Oh well to each his own.
David
Sorry about that. I have had privet for years and. yes, it does tend to spread. However, I have lots of room and I intend to put it on the northwest edge of my woods.
I have a small shack there that becomes highly visible in winter when the trees and shrubs lose their leaves. I prefer to hide it.
Would someone answer my question please?

the
the

It probably will live.
I live in Zone 8 and my experience with privet was to cut a bush into foot long pieces and plant about 2/3rds of the piece below the ground in a row to get a hedge. In a managed hedge it requires cutting tooo often for me to appreciate it any more. Best of luck with your efforts.
Regards,
Hal

Same here. I planted about 150' of them and it's hell to keep trimmed. I planted North Amur.

You could use a match or plant a thick evergreen tree for the shack.
James: The match is out. I have most of the comforts of home in that shack including a fridge, microwave oven, propane heat, stereo and so on. No Tv, but I do use a two-way radio to contact the outside world. I might sleep out there tonight. It is only supposed to go down to 1 0 or 12 degrees.
I have planted the privet which is evergreen and if I could just get the English Ivy to speed it up a little no one would notice that shack unless they bumped into it.

the