Privacy hudge suggestions for Houston, TX

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
Secret Asian Man wrote:
Although not a native plant to the US, Oleander is a fairly good plant to use as a screen. It doesn't attract any wildlife but it is durable. Since it doesn't produce berries, birds don't contribute to spreading it around the environment and causing it to become a dominant species. Those "oleanders" on Beltway 8 "are" 10 years old or older. I do have one of these planted behind the garage and its about 14' tall.
--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
SJE wrote:

Oleander; as long as you don't have an aversion to poisonous plants. Ligustrum if you need something less toxic.
Best regards, Bob
Ligustrum problems:
http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/00000857.html http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening/garden/01700561.shtml
Cercospora leaf spot on privet/ligustrum We again are seeing a lot of this leaf spot in the clinic just as we did as last year. Almost all ligustrums have this disease to some extent. Symptoms are characterized by a light tan spot with a dark brown border. Occasionally, severely infected leaves will drop but for the most part the disease does not cause significant damage. It may be of concern to homeowners but the disease does not merit a full blown spray program like Entomosporium leaf spot. General leaf spot control practices and good cultural care are usually enough to keep this disease in check. Infection is favored by free moisture on the foliage, such as after rain or from overhead watering. Avoid overhead watering and keep the area around the plant clean of debris. Infected leaves should be removed and thrown away. Selective pruning to increase air circulation will also reduce disease incidence. For those folks who insist on spraying, Daconil 2787 and Fung-Away are labeled for leaf spot control on ligustrum. Target protection of new, expanding leaves this spring. Clients should follow label recommendations for rates and method of application.
zxcvbob wrote: Ligustrum if you need something less toxic.

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature encourages no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jim Lewis wrote:

Hey, I like your nature taglines. How'd you do that?
--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky

Oleander is poison if you eat it. I never ate it. Ligustrum is a noxious weed which is on every DO NOT PLANT in Texas and many other states. Please, with all the myriad offerings, do not plant any ligustrum.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, can't wait to move in and get started!