Prickly Pear Cactus

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of cactus. Any of the sprays I have used do nothing and I am too old to dig it all out. Thank you much.

Reply to
pixi

Chop the pads off the main plant and one by one, using full coverage of 100 mil thick body suit, and gloves, put them into a bag and throw them away. Any which fall to the ground will root and become a new plant. I don't know of any sprays which will kill it. Maybe Steve knows...

Reply to
Bourne Identity

You got it.

You have to dig it all up and throw it away.

The only other sure fire method involves a flame thrower and can be very dangerous.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Bourne Identity wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There's very little from US sources on herbicide control of Prickly Pear, however an Australian government fact sheet suggests Triclopyr and Amitrol.

Reply to
David Bockman

Since cactus grow in the desert and require little watering, maybe they could be wiped out by OVER watering?

Reply to
Hound Dog

Reply to
Bourne Identity

Since cactus grow in the desert and require very little water, perhaps OVER watering them would kill, or at least slow them down?

Reply to
Hound Dog

Since the eastern Opuntia humifusa naturally grows in non-desert region of the eastern US, the answer is no.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

That would be a big negatory on that. It can take quite a bit of watering.

Reply to
Bourne Identity

Reply to
presley

You are alluding to the wrong species. Only the pads of Opuntia ficus-indica are occasionally eaten. Most of the other species have pads that are too spiny, too fibrous or unpleasant tasting.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Perhaps some neighborhood kids with leftover M-80s would like to try and remove it? Sounds like a great science project for the fall...

Reply to
Rev "Fragile Warrior"

Thank you but almost everyone has prickly pear cactus growing somewhere on their property. I live in a rain shadow and the place is considered semi arid even though it is WV.

Reply to
pixi

What is a leftover M-80? Haven't been a kid in a long time. Cows and goats like the stuff and would clean it out a a week but they would also clean out everything else.

Reply to
pixi

Did I thank everyone for their suggestions? If not a whole hearted thank you.

Reply to
pixi

Its an explosive and a pitiful attempt at humor by Rev. Stoopid. Blowing the plant up would only spread pieces far and wide and create more problems later on when they form even more colonies of the plant.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Awwwww... did someone try to remove you with a quarter stick on the fourth? You sound grouchier than normal.

Reply to
Rev "Fragile Warrior"

You hear sounds over the internet?

You're tripping, dude.

You must have celebrated the fourth by imbibing a whole fifth of absinthe.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Wow. You ARE the King of Comedy. K00l retort, dude. You bees the bestest.

Reply to
Rev "Fragile Warrior"

There is a special moth whose caterpillar grub will chew it to pieces. I think it's called "Cactoblastis"

Reply to
Peter Jason