Predator squirrels? ? ?

I have a nice pear tree which always produces a good crop. But the moment the fruit enters the first stages of ripening, the tree is totally stripped by squirrels. Often they don't even eat any of the pears, just gnaw the stem off the tree and let them fall.
Any suggestions welcome.
Pellet gun.....live traps........tie a dog with a bad attitude to tree
I also have squirrel problems. BIG TIME. Live the country, and its not unusual to look outside and see 15 or more squirrels rumaging around. The ravaged my garden earlier, and invade my barn, attic and out buildings, digging up my lawn. Talked to the game commision, and even though there is a season on harvesting them, they said there would be no trouble since they are doing damages so just thin em out, which is what I did. Total count since early April is 63 grey squirrels eliminated, either by shooting or with traps and thats without going out of my way to look for them. I have some nice big fox squirrels which I do not remove.
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 01:41:58 GMT, "Ray Jenkins"

-- Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address