Pre-emergent?

Hi all,
I've read where in certain incidents you must use "pre-emergent" solutions. What is meant by 'pre-emergent?'
Thanks loads,
bill William Redding Medical Researcher at www.linkable.org Learn a language at www.ITeachOonline.com

That is short for "pre-emergent herbicide." This type of weed control inhibits germination, thus "pre-emergent." The most common one is sold as "Preen." You generally apply it in early spring and then in about four months. Some lawn products, generally sold as "step one" have pre-emergent herbicide and fertilizer combined. "Post-emergent" products kill existing weeds, while pre-emergent prevent weeds.
Vox,
Thank you very much, you sure explained it well.
Bill
wrote:

William Redding Medical Researcher at www.linkable.org Learn a language at www.ITeachOonline.com
Good land make it simple....pre = before, emergent + before it F-ing comes up!!!!!
Are dictionaries still available? Is google still working?
wrote:

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel. -- Aldo Leopold
Anyone know of a low-priced source of corn gluten pre-emergent?
A year or more ago, I read that Lowe's was going to sell it, but our local Lowe's does not.
Thanks. vince norris