Pre-emergent

I'm about to put in a flat of Dymondia, which I'm using on a seldom-used path to a side fence instead of stepping stones. I'm assured that after it takes hold and the individual parts merge, it's trouble & maintenance free.

Nursery guy was very emphatic that I put down "pre-emergent" whatchacallit AFTER the flat is in. Says I'll be sorry if I don't as weeds will (my term) overwhelm the ground cover.

I've never used this stuff, so nervous about putting it on top of the Dymondia.

Any experience out there?

This is So.Calif coastal

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

You put a pre-emergent on after you completly finish working the soil and watering in your transplants because working the soil *after* using a pre-emergent will negate its usefulness.

I don't use them myself, but was willing to advise my octagenarian mother to use it in her (tiny) courtyard because hand weeding was no longer a real option for her. And she has been very happy with the results; her perennials are stronger than ever, and the few annuals she puts in each year are fine. It was a far better option than giving up her little garden entirely.

As for Dymondia, I couldn't turn up any warnings *against* using a pre-emergent with it, but found plenty of recommendations *for* doing so. You could go the chemical route (such as Pendulum (R)) or try something like Corn Gluten Meal.

You'll probably also have to consider repeating it at intervals until the ground cover is very well established, especially if the soil is ever disturbed by digging animals or such.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

path to a side fence instead of stepping stones. I'm assured that after it takes hold and the individual parts merge, it's trouble & maintenance free .

t AFTER the flat is in. Says I'll be sorry if I don't as weeds will (my te rm) overwhelm the ground cover.

Still VERY confused. Directions on pe-emergent package say to apply around /to? ESTABLISHED PLANTS. But I just put in a flat of Dymondia, leaving the recommended spaces between plants to fill in. When can these little guys be considered "established"??? If I want to control putative weeds in bet ween plants, don't I need to apply NOW before weeds sprout? I.E., strew be tween plants. But are plants "established"? Not nitpicking words; genuin ely confused.

Help!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

The stuff works by interfering with the process of seed germination. So 'established' in this context means anything that is past that. It won't do anything to plants in their normal lifecycle that are growing more leaves, extending root systems etc. To work it needs to be present with the seeds that you want to inhibit from germination at the time of germination. That means if you apply it before they are germinating and it washes away then you miss. If you apply it after they germinate you miss.

David Hare-Scott

In a word: OY!

HB

Reply to