Potting-up fussy seedlings

I've got a bunch of more adventurous seeds on the go, which will come to pricking out / potting on before long.

For now one lot have got away ahead of the pack - some seedlings of Crambe cordifolia.

Since potting-up its not going well. First true leaves are drying up, and have made no headway [after a couple of weeks], and a couple have snuffed it

My general question (i.e. not specifically related to Crambe cordifolia) is whether I would be better to try to improve drainage of multi purpose compost (go 1/3rd or even 50% Perlite perhaps?) with a view to stopping the compost becoming compacted, and to reduce the effect of watering [when the plants are not actually thirsty]?

Slight risk that they will need water more often, but by the time they get to the next potting-on pot-size they will probably be strong enough to be less influenced by compost-drainage.

Advice welcome, I want to avoid killing off the seedlings that I do manage to get to germinate

Reply to
coykiesaol

Hi coykiesaol, You know, im not quite sure if its commonly available at garden centres ? Its something, as a plant grower that im asked for all the time here in Cornwall but very rarely have ! As to its vulnerability to snails, my gut feeling is that no, they dont touch it, otherwise they wouldnt be so prolific on the walls down here. If snails readily ate them, I dont think they would do so well as they do ? as both valerian and snails seem to favour these old walls. Sow the seeds now, in a tray and place outside as soon as they germinate, the few that I have managed to produce have been from basal cuttings taken from the new spring growth of established plants when about 4" tall and when your plants have matured, divide the clumps every three years about this time of year as well.

best wishes, Lannerman

Reply to
lannerman