Potting soil

Tell me again, why isn't potting soil re-used? I'm getting ready to pot the sweet basil in the pots that I used last year. It seems a little manure would, rock phosphate, wood ash, and bone meal would have it back in shape. There were no disease problems with the basil last year. Whatcha think?

Reply to
Billy

My personal inclination is not to re-use potting soil. However, I put the used potting soil around my herbs or in places where the soil has sunk. Sure you can go ahead and try it, but that leaves a guessing game on the right proportions for your basil plants. No harm in setting up an experiment. Why not label a "control plant?"

Reply to
Phisherman

I re-use potting soil all the time and use it as a Neutral mix/fill.

Reply to
Omelet

Reply to
Billy

Cheers! :-)

Reply to
Omelet

That will be easy, I have two more basil this year than last. The hard part for me is getting organized. Don't ask;-)

Reply to
Billy

I was gonna weigh in too, but it looks like you have decided. ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Organized! How is that pronounced, please?

I also reuse my potting soil. If it gets heavy I add some ordinary sand to it. If it is too airy, I put some garden soil in it. I mulch my containers with a layer of crushed granite and it all gets mixed in the following year. Granite is a great property for soil texture.

Reply to
Jangchub

WHAT? You gonna tell me that Omelet is incompetent to advise me and out of her tiny little mind if she thinks that potting soil can be reused, and this is what you can expect in the twilight of civilization, and you are sad to see me fall in with such a bad lot?

Charlie how can you say such things?

So what have you heard?

;-)

Reply to
Billy

Discard if you had pest or disease problems, otherwise leach it to clear fertilizer salts and add a shot of dolomite to bring pH back to within 6.0 to 7.0 range. Organically maintained potting soils can be reused indefinitely.

Reply to
Father Haskell

LMAO....this is one of the things I love about you, Old Trout...I can count on you to rise to a well-placed fly! ;-)

Aside: You ever read, or see, "A River Runs Through It" -- Norm MacLean work?

Om gave you the same advice I would have given, which validated your intuition and knowledge, thus I decided to go fishin' instead of wasting my finger energy on doubling up on the advice. :-)

Ah me, you have indeed fallen in with such a bad lot as Om and I and other similar-minded folk, one being that crazy old coot from Joisey, as we all light up, learn and experience the burn-in.

Rock On, Brothers-in-Arms, Rock On Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Just the movie. I rarely read fiction because there is too much reality and, not enough time.

Reply to
Billy

But one needs diversion other than ale once in a while.

No matter, the movie was nearly verbatim the book, one of the few that are.

G'nite, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I'll drink to that;-)

Reply to
Billy

Cheers! :-d

Reply to
Omelet

As more people realize this, I wonder what is going to happen to fix it? I pray the revolution that is coming will take place at the ballot box. The problem is, is there anyone in Washington left that gives a rats ass?

Reply to
Omelet

Reply to
tstovall