Potatos

Every year I grow spuds in a small garden and every year the plants become huge while I'm left with only a small crop (usually one giant potatoe and four small ones from each plant). It seems like each plant is putting most of its energy into the greenry and not much into the spuds. I'm using Russet Burbank, late maturing seed potatoes. I should get about 40kgs of spuds (according to the seed manufacturer) but am lucky to get 10kgs. The soil is great..add compost and steer manure every year and use a veg fertilizer every two weeks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Phil

Reply to
pcourterelle

Russet Burbanks are a litle more particular than many other varieties. You may need to try a round early season potato depending on your location. The other possibilty in that you have too much nitrogen and not enough potash.

Reply to
FarmerDill